Since end of 2015 the new ASMEC products with the name ZHN are part of the product portfolio of the ZwickRoell GmbH & Co. KG in Ulm.
ASMEC is further your service partner for all instruments of the UNAT type.
Information about the new Nanomechanical Tester ZHN you can also find directly on the ZwickRoell website
ZHNto website ZHN
The Universal Nanomechanical Tester ZHN
The Universal Nanomechanical Tester ZHN is an enhancement of the proven ASMEC technique that was sold under the name UNAT.
Due to its high modularity it is more than a nanoindenter or hardness tester. In dependence on the configuration it can be used
With one measuring head as:
- Nanoindenter / hardness tester for measurements between 0.02 mN − 2000 mN
- Micro tensile tester in the same force range
- Fatigue tester up to 2 Hz quasi−static or up to 300 Hz with dynamic module
- Dynamic Mechanical Tester (DMA) up to about 100 Hz with dynamic module
- Profilometer and with dynamic module also for stiffness/modulus mapping
- Scratch tester without measurement of friction force
Special features of the instrument, which make the difference to other instruments, are:
Selection menu for pre-defined applications
With a second measuring head for lateral force−displacement curves as:
- Scratch tester with measurement of friction force
- Oscillatory scratch tester (oscillation of the sample perpendicular to the scratch direction)
- Micro wear tester for reciprocating wear
- Micro fretting tester (lateral oscillations) with dynamic module
- Tester for high resolution lateral deformations. This allows determining
- lateral contact stiffness
- Poisson’s ratio (new)
- Internal stresses in combination with the software FilmDoctor (new)
- Lateral failure mechanisms
- Very high signal−to−noise ratio of about 106 : 1, so that also measurements with a 2 N measuring head realize an excellent resolution
- Extreme robust measuring head with large tolerance against overloading by using inductive displacement sensors without stopper and a stiff spring system. This allows:
- very fast tip exchange with standard tools and without additional protection measures
- use of unconventional or self−manufactured tips or counterparts and adapters with up to 10 times higher weight than the standard tip
- Easy mountable shaft extensions for measurements in holes or liquids
- Equal functionality in compression and tension. Therefore the instrument can be used as micro tensile tester
- Very stiff frame construction where the indenter axis is below the axis of the Z−stage for height adjustment of the traverse. Therefore no tilting effect may happen when the force is applied.
- Modular concept where the measuring heads for different force ranges (0.2 N; 2 N; (soon) 20 N) can be exchanged by the user without difficulties and by using the same plugs.
- Unique patented Lateral Force Unit (LFU) enables very precise measurements of lateral force−displacement curves,
which cannot be done with any other instrument. This allows for instance the investigation of the lateral contact stiffness or of stick−slip effects in friction tests and much more.
The combined application of both heads allows a better reconstruction of the loading conditions in an application in the laboratory.
- Standard sample holder with 5 places for samples of varying height and contact for the measurement of the contact resistance between tip and sample (when using conductive diamond or other tip materials)
- Large travelling distance of 70 mm in Z direction (height), so that high samples can be measured. Without the second measuring head (LFU) even samples with a height of
20 cm and a length of 50 cm can be installed and measured. The large available space gives enough room for additional installations.
- Unique optics with a maximum magnification of 3250x (76 nm per pixel) and two cameras for different magnifications without the need of turning a turret. This gives a high positioning stability.
- Unique tip check module for the daily instrument check for instance within a quality insurance system.
It is using a permanently installed fused silica sample on a separate place so that no sample has to be exchanged. The software saves in a database where measurements have been done.
- Very precise routines for the determination of the area function or the radius function for a spherical tip and the instrument compliance function (not only a force independent value is used).
As the only instrument it allows the calibration of the area function with two different materials at once to exclude any material dependency.
- A precise optional dynamic module enables the superposition of oscillations up to 300 Hz and the measurement of amplitudes and phase shift.
The continuous or quasi−continuous contact stiffness measurement allows a depth dependent measurement of hardness and modulus already for depths of only 10 nm.
One−of−a−kind is the large amplitude range of more than 50 mN force amplitude so that the instrument can be used for fatigue tests.
- A multitude of additional modules is available like
- White light interferometer (optical profilometer)
- Atomic force microscope (AFM)
- Sample heater up to 400 °C
- Sample cooler down to −10 °C